PDA

View Full Version : Hacked DirecTV TiVo and PPV (pay-per-view)

fooTiVo
09-28-2005, 10:48 AM
The answer to my question seems to be peppered across many threads so I'm going to come right out and request a definitive answer to my question.

After I hack my DTiVo, I will not be able to order pay-per-view movies via the TiVo modem. Is that correct? I can still order via the web, but not using my modem.

Furthermore, it seems I can hack the TiVo so that it doesn't try to upgrade via the modem. So, is there any reason to hook the TiVo up to the phone line?

Thanks,
foo

fixn278
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
The answer to my question seems to be peppered across many threads so I'm going to come right out and request a definitive answer to my question.

After I hack my DTiVo, I will not be able to order pay-per-view movies via the TiVo modem. Is that correct? I can still order via the web, but not using my modem.

Furthermore, it seems I can hack the TiVo so that it doesn't try to upgrade via the modem. So, is there any reason to hook the TiVo up to the phone line?

Thanks,
foo

Correct on all counts. No need to connect the phone line.

cheer
09-28-2005, 11:24 AM
So, is there any reason to hook the TiVo up to the phone line?
No. In fact, the general consensus around here is that it's a bad idea to have a hacked DirecTivo dial in. (SA Tivos are a different story; they need to either dial in or network in to the mothership for guide data and whatnot.)

steve90071
09-28-2005, 12:37 PM
I have successfully activated DirectTV pay per view through my remote control. I have a hacked RCA DVR40, running 6.2, that is not connected to a phone line or through broadband. So I would say, from my experience. no on the first count and yes on the second.

eastwind
09-28-2005, 01:10 PM
I have successfully activated DirectTV pay per view through my remote control. I have a hacked RCA DVR40, running 6.2, that is not connected to a phone line or through broadband. So I would say, from my experience. no on the first count and yes on the second.
Sure, until your card fills up and boinks because it can't call in to transfer the PPV data to DTV.

ew

steve90071
09-29-2005, 03:15 AM
eastwind: Does that mean that when I use the remote it places the information on my access card and then, when I call in, it sends the info to DirectTv who then bills me?

And does that also mean that when my access card fills up with too many unbilled pay per view charges it shuts down?

If either of these conditions are true, it means I am going to have to call in because my intention is not to avoid being charged for pay per view and I certainly do not want to loose my ability to use DirectTV.

AlphaWolf
09-29-2005, 04:08 AM
Well...in theory you should be able to disable the tivo phone home without harming the directv phone home, which handles the PPV. They are two separate uses of the modem that even dial different phone numbers.

My guess is you could accomplish this by configuring the tivo to dial in via ethernet, and then either keep the default gateway undefined, or rename the ethernet interface to something like net0 like we used to do in the old days.

Or, probably the best approach, configure iptables to block all outgoing traffic that goes beyond your home network. This should allow MRV to work just fine.

The directv dial in doesn't need IP functionality AFAIK, but the tivo dial in absolutely depends on it, even if it does so via the modem and not via ethernet.

Spydertech
10-04-2005, 04:11 PM
eastwind: Does that mean that when I use the remote it places the information on my access card and then, when I call in, it sends the info to DirectTv who then bills me?

And does that also mean that when my access card fills up with too many unbilled pay per view charges it shuts down?

If either of these conditions are true, it means I am going to have to call in because my intention is not to avoid being charged for pay per view and I certainly do not want to loose my ability to use DirectTV.

Exactly.....

Do as Alphawolf suggested - and let the Tivo call DirecTV...

If you don't, you will end up with your card being full of PPV charges and no TV. Then, when you let it call in, you will have one BIIIIIG bill....

Safest move - just order the PPV through the internet at Directv's web site. (personally, I'm just too lazy to wire in a phone line just for the Tivo ;) ).

Spydertech

Spotted
10-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Ok, I have ordered a movie through the web, but I never got it at home, I was charged and everything. So, I ordered the same movie through my remote and it worked fine. Then, my fiance' ordered another movie through remote also. Will these movies on the card shut down my DTV? I do have the phone line connected to my Vonage adapter, but that is for caller ID to the DTivo.

Spydertech
10-07-2005, 12:04 AM
You need to call DirecTV....
If you ordered through the web - got charged- and didn't g et the movie - they need to fix the problem.

As for the card - if the Tivo never calls DirecTV, it can't upload your PPV info to them. Since they never see what you ordered, you never get charged. The downfall is, unless the Tivo uploads the info to DirecTV, it never gts wiped - once the card fills up - no more TV....

Nuke2000
10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
can't you then order other card and say your dog eat them one with all the ppv one it.

When the new card comes in you can order more ppv movies.

PlainBill
10-19-2005, 02:35 PM
can't you then order other card and say your dog eat them one with all the ppv one it.

When the new card comes in you can order more ppv movies.
For someone with an IO (sic) of 139 , you sure come up with some 'simple' scams. The first question asked will be what the card was doing out of the receiver. By the way, DirecTV figured out this scam back in the F card days - if not earlier.

PlainBill

Spydertech
10-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Nuke,

Hmm - wouldn't that be theft????

And isn't "theft of service" a MAJOR "NO-NO" here at DDB?

My explanation stands. What you do with the information is your problem.

You buy with the remote, you fill up the ppv slots, you no longer watch ANY DirecTV. Then you plug in the phone line and let Tivo call DirecTV, WAM! You get hit with one big PPV bill (but you can watch TV again ;) ). It's up to you.

Me - I order through the web and have no worries....

Spydertech

solsurfer
03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Sure, until your card fills up and boinks because it can't call in to transfer the PPV data to DTV.

ew

I think this must be what happened to me. I was able to buy PPVs with the remote, but now I no longer get the "buy and record" option. I have the phone line plugged in, but also have FakeCall enabled. Is there any way to force the call in so that the PPVs can be transfered to DTV and my buying via the remote be re-activated?

cheer
03-16-2006, 09:36 PM
You should be able to just force a call from the call menu. Fakecall, in theory, shouldn't stop the daily calls; it just tricks the DTivo into thinking that a failed call was OK.

solsurfer
03-18-2006, 12:34 AM
You should be able to just force a call from the call menu. Fakecall, in theory, shouldn't stop the daily calls; it just tricks the DTivo into thinking that a failed call was OK.

Well, If I choose the "connect to DVR Service" option, it tries to call, but I get a "Failed. Phone is busy." error message. I've verified the line works and is free, so not sure why I'm having this trouble. Any suggestions?

cheer
03-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Bad line, bad cable, or bad modem in the Tivo -- one of the three.

solsurfer
03-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Bad line, bad cable, or bad modem in the Tivo -- one of the three.

Hmm. Well, the line and cable are the same ones that worked before I hacked the box, so I guess I must have fried the modem while I was making the changes (though I'm not sure how that would have happened). Any way to test the modem to know for sure? More importantly, is there any way to make the call via the usb ethernet connection I've got running on it now? Or to fix/replace the modem?

lgkahn
03-22-2006, 09:11 AM
not sure .. when you hack a dtivo 6.2 at least mine and enable networking it tries to make its makes the data stream calls via the internet.. I believe the activations calls are still through phone.. there is a way to tell it to ignore the busy off hook check with some # code.. play dumb call directtv and ask them/proceed like you have a modem problem..

PlainBill
03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Hmm. Well, the line and cable are the same ones that worked before I hacked the box, so I guess I must have fried the modem while I was making the changes (though I'm not sure how that would have happened). Any way to test the modem to know for sure? More importantly, is there any way to make the call via the usb ethernet connection I've got running on it now? Or to fix/replace the modem?
This sounds familiar. By any chance do you still have the original drive so you can put it in the TiVo and verify it can make a call? I seem to remember some people had issues with hacked DirecTiVos not being able to dial in.

PlainBill

SpoonsJTD
03-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Or, probably the best approach, configure iptables to block all outgoing traffic that goes beyond your home network. This should allow MRV to work just fine.

The directv dial in doesn't need IP functionality AFAIK, but the tivo dial in absolutely depends on it, even if it does so via the modem and not via ethernet.

I just saw this post for the first time and it makes a lot more sense than the 'whatever you do, don't let it phone home for any reason if it's hacked' themed posts in other places. I haven't played with the config of my dtivo's for quite some time, but it seems I remember there is only one place to configure the phone call. Does DirecTV do it's own thing regardless of this setting, i.e., is this setting only for the Tivo call? How do you configure the DTivo and the Tivo calls to behave differently?

ronrico51
03-23-2006, 11:38 PM
There are advantages to using the remote to order PPV. Convenience, and the fact that when you order online it goes to all your tivos, with the remote only the unit which ordered it. This can be important if you have children, and don't want to mess with locks and limits. Locks also interferes with MRV. I would like to be able to call in to DTV, and have not been able to see any documented disadvantages to this. I still avoid it though. I keep an unhacked drive handy, pop it in once in a while, and let it phone in to clear my card. It is kind of a pain though.

solsurfer
04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
This sounds familiar. By any chance do you still have the original drive so you can put it in the TiVo and verify it can make a call? I seem to remember some people had issues with hacked DirecTiVos not being able to dial in.

PlainBill

OK, I finally had a chance to test this out. I put a fresh image on a new drive and plugged it into the tivo, and yes, it was able to make the call (after tweaking the caller id, etc settings). I swapped the hacked drive back into the box, made the same changes, and tried to replicate the call. I was able to verify that the call is going out and it is communicating to the system, but it's failling on the connection step. Something about the enhancements is causing the tivo not to accept whatever instructions the DTV side of the call is sending (in this example, I was just doing the call to get the local phone numbers).

Any idea how to fix this?

If not, can't I plug the "clean" image back in the machine and force the call to the "DRV serve" and clear the access card that way? I tried doing this, but wasn't sure what the process was. Do I have to wait a while, leave it in the drive for a day, etc? And the new drive is getting a Error 51 code, do I have to run 51killer.tcl first in order to kill this to clear the access card?

Could all this be avoided if I put my access card in a friends clean box and force a call?

Thanks,

Rod

PlainBill
04-04-2006, 03:19 PM
OK, I finally had a chance to test this out. I put a fresh image on a new drive and plugged it into the tivo, and yes, it was able to make the call (after tweaking the caller id, etc settings). I swapped the hacked drive back into the box, made the same changes, and tried to replicate the call. I was able to verify that the call is going out and it is communicating to the system, but it's failling on the connection step. Something about the enhancements is causing the tivo not to accept whatever instructions the DTV side of the call is sending (in this example, I was just doing the call to get the local phone numbers).

Any idea how to fix this?
No definite answer, but an idea on how to research it. MOST of the hacks involve changes to tivoapp; most of them have been combined into SuperPatch 67.

Step 1: Start off copying an unhacked drive to a test drive, verify you can make a daily call.

Step 2: Hack it by installing a killhdinitrd kernel, AlphaWolf's Series 2 Binaries, and an rc.sysinit.author to activate them. You might want to wipe the log files while you're at it. Again, verify it can make the daily call.

Step 3: Research each of the changes made by SuperPatch 67. Apply the ones that appear to be unrelated to the daily call. Test it again.

Step 4: Apply any undocumented patches until you identify the culprit.

Note that this is of dubious benefit. See below.

If not, can't I plug the "clean" image back in the machine and force the call to the "DRV serve" and clear the access card that way? I tried doing this, but wasn't sure what the process was. Do I have to wait a while, leave it in the drive for a day, etc? And the new drive is getting a Error 51 code, do I have to run 51killer.tcl first in order to kill this to clear the access card?

Could all this be avoided if I put my access card in a friends clean box and force a call?

Thanks,

Rod
The only way to do this would be to put a 'working' drive in the DirecTiVo, clear the 'Error 51', and leave it in until the system calls DirecTV. Putting your card in a friend's system until it calls home would be A VERY BAD IDEA.

One obstacle you are facing is a DirecTiVo makes TWO calls. One is to TiVo, and occurs about once a week, unless you force it. The second is to DirecTV, occurs monthly, and AFIK, cannot be forced.

PlainBill

solsurfer
04-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks to Gunnyman, I was able to fix the problem. I thought I'd post it here for future readers:

Originally Posted by Gunnyman
ok for the sake of setting UP the phone for the dtv call do this:
edit the auhor file using Joe or your favorite linux friendly text editor
comment out the "route commands" reboot tivo
make your changes to the phone settings
dial out to test them
re-edit author file re-enabling the route commands
reboot tivo